Microdermabrasion is one of the fastest and gentlest, anti-aging treatments available today. The procedure only sounds painful, but it is actually non-invasive and relatively pain free (uses local anaesthesia). This procedure uses minimally abrasive instrument on your skin to remove the thick, uneven outer layer. It helps to rejuvenate the skin and helps to treat discoloration, stretch marks, sun damage and light scars.
Microdermabrasion can be used to:
• Remove age spots and black heads.
• Help remove hyperpigmentation.
• Exfoliate the skin which results in a glowing complexion.
• Helps to lighten the stretch marks.
• Fine lines and wrinkles get reduced.
• Eliminate or reduce enlarged pores.
• Treat acne and the acne scars.
Microdermabrasion helps in the production of collagen (a protein that helps to keep the skin look smooth and taut when we are younger), and the result of which is a younger looking complexion. With age the Collagen declines, that results in uneven and lose skin.
This facial resurfacing is a non-surgical technique which is performed in a succession of about 6 to 10 sessions. In this procedure the skin is exfoliated mechanically and the outermost layer of dead skin cells, known as stratum corneum, is removed. This gives way to a younger, vibrant and glowing skin which feels softer and smoother. Microdermabrasion is a process in which tiny exfoliating crystals are sprayed on the affected skin to remove the outer layer. This procedure makes the skin softer and brighter as it helps to exfoliate and rejuvenate the skin. Usually, severe scarring requires this procedure. The top layer of the skin is removed by rotating a wire brush repeatedly. This procedure helps to completely remove the scars that are on the surface and the deeper scars become less visible.
Aluminium oxide crystals (also known as corundum) are the most common crystals that are used in this procedure. As compared to the diamond, they are cheaper, but almost just as hard. However, some studies suggests that there may be a health risk associated with microdermabrasion machines that are aluminium oxide-based.
Sodium chloride, magnesium oxide and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are some of the other alternatives of aluminium oxide crystals being used in microdermabrasion machines.
FACTS ABOUT MICRODERMABRASION
1. Microdermabrasion helps to diminish wrinkles, light acne scars and fine lines. These results vary from person to person.
2. Great to unclog and minimise enlarged pores.
3. Removal of the dead skin through this procedure can help in better absorption and penetration of all your skin care products.
4. Microdermabrasion is a safer, cheaper and more popular option than laser and chemical peels.
5. Microdermabrasion helps to stimulate the blood flow. This helps to improve the production of skin cells as increased nutrition is delivered to the skin. It improves the elasticity and texture of the skin.
6. This procedure temporarily removes the moisture from the skin, so it is important to apply a good moisturiser afterwards.
7. This is an ideal procedure for people between the age group of 35 to 50 showing signs of ageing.
8. It is not recommended if you suffer from skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, rosacea, eczema, dermatitis, herpes, active sunburn, lupus, widespread acne, open sores, psoriasis or fragile capillaries. It is advisable to seek medical advice first.
9. 6 to 10 sessions are usually recommended for optimum results. (2 weeks gap in-between each session for the skin to recover).
10. Each sessions lasts for about 30 minutes or so.
11. Direct exposure to the sun is not recommended after the procedure as the skin becomes more sensitive .Use of a good sunscreen is a must.
12. It is important to know the credentials of your aesthetician. Microdermabrasion must be performed by someone who knows the job well, as the results of the procedure will depend largely on their expertise.
13. Microdermabrasion is one of the least disruptive and simplest skin treatments available .It is an ideal solution for people for people with sensitive skin.
14. This procedure improves your skin as it encourages the production of a new layers of skin cells with a higher level of elastin and collagen.
Q: Does microdermabrasion work on all skin type?
A: Microdermabrasion is great for all skin types. It does not change the colour of your skin, but helps effectively in dealing with issues like wrinkles, acne scars, stretch marks and other scars. This is a non-invasive procedure also works best on dull skin, age spots and brown spots.
Q: What is the down time required after this procedure?
A: This procedure doesn’t require a surgery or general anaesthesia, hence there is very little down time required. Skin is a little pink after the procedure for about one day.
Q: How many sessions are required to see results?
A: Six to eight sessions are needed, with a gap of two weeks between each session for optimum results.